Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Just Call Me Grandma!

Yesterday was a very exciting day in the Korner!

I got the kids off to school, went to work, and shortly after I arrived, I spoke to my mechanic about the grinding noise my vehicle was making, which in turn was drawing slack- jawed stares from the motorists beside me.

He told me I could bring it in right away, so I decided to do so, and work from home the rest of the day.

Karma's funny that way ya know.

I haven't mentioned about our cat Puss, and the fact she's pregnant to all of you.

Funny thing is, two nights ago I was going to do a post about the fact that she got knocked up when we got back from summer vacation.

I've never had a kitty who has had kitty's before!

Pregnant Puss!


I hadn't taken any pics of Puss while she was pregnant, but I took this pic two nights ago. Not knowing exactly when she had gotten pregnant, I wasn't sure exactly WHEN the kittens would arrive, but figured it was going to be sometime soon.

Yesterday, after dropping off the vehicle, I was home about 45 minutes. Enough time to VPN into work, and get started on something.

All of a sudden, Puss was at my feet. Meowing. Wandering around.

Puss never meows. Never. Unless you speak to her and she's answering you. But she's not a random meower.

I don't know how I knew, but I knew. The kittens were coming!

The boys and I had made a box for her in the laundry room. I had put a shower liner on the bottom, then a sheet over that, and a blanket on top of that. I just hoped she'd use it when the time came!

I had been warned that cats will have their kittens in closets, on beds they like ... I figured it was going to be a messy thing, and I didn't want kitten crap all over my shoes in the closet!

So, when the meowing and wandering started, I put Belle outside, and walked Puss into the laundry room and patted her box.

She got RIGHT IN!!!

I stayed with her. Rubbed her head. Told her what a good mama she was going to be.

About 20 minutes later, she started to push. Just like WE do LOL.

She looked at me. Meowed like "Holy CRAP! What's going on?!?!?"

Gave another push, made a sound like she was ripping a wet fart, and it was out!




And after she got all the birth crap off it ... it was pretty damned cute!!!!

Every 20 minutes or so, her stomach would give this little spasm, she'd push, meow, make fart noises, and out would pop another one :-)





She had FIVE healthy kittens in all. The first was sort of calico like mama, the next two were black, then a gold/caramel one, and finally a blackish/grey one.

Do I smell butt? Is that someone's butt? I don't want the butt ... I want the BOOB!!!

She's such a good mama! She's had her arms around them since they came out, and she hasn't stopped purring since the first one popped out.

Feeding the brood

She doesn't mind me going in to see her, and doesn't mind me petting HER, but I know enough to not touch the kittens themselves.

The boys were sorry they missed the actual event, but were beside themselves when they got home, and I was home, meeting them with a big grin at the door :-D

This will be her only litter.

It was an absolutely awesome experience watching the births, but I'm also not about to fill the world with extra kittens either.

We'll definitely be keeping one, although the boys want two LOL. The ex is taking one, so that leave 2-3 to find a loving home for. I think I can handle that :-)

I'm so proud of my girl! Did I mention what an awesome Mama she is?

And since I'm STILL grinning from ear to ear almost 24 hrs later, you can just call me ... Grandma!

K.

3 comments:

Expat No. 3699 said...

Very cool that you took pics and shared them. Though I've had pets that have given birth, I have never been witness to it.

Kim's Korner said...

Thanks 3699 :-)

At 37 yrs old, this was my first birth also and it was absolutely amazing!

I'm really glad the fates decided to make sure I was home to see it :-)

Anonymous said...

Awww cute! I want one!!!!