Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Fine! I'll Date When I'm 50!

A couple of weeks ago, I got a phone call from an old friend.

We've known each other almost 20 years. I met him about the same time I met my Ex. The Ex was a bouncer, his friend the DJ at one of the hottest university bars in town (at the time).

He was alot of fun.

If you have a roomful of people, he's the one in the middle of the crowd, making everyone laugh.

We were also roomates for a short time. Strictly platonic people! Get your minds out of the gutter!

Then, I got married, had kids. He got married, had a kid.

He had a falling out with the Ex, so I lost touch with him also.

We ran into each other at a party or two over the past 10 years, but never went back to the days of 'hanging out' together.

So a couple of weeks ago, completely out of the blue, he calls. And last weekend, while the boys were at their dad's, he came over to hang out.

Let me clarify, it wasn't a DATE.

He's still married, but in the process of going through a divorce.

So it was simply a couple of old friends hanging out and catching up and comparing divorce horror stories lol.

When he called, the boys heard me on the phone and because Adam actually answered, they knew I was talking to 'a guy!'.

Afterwards, I explained who 'the guy' was, and how their father and I knew him from a very long time ago.

They were also aware that I might see him over the weekend. I was very clear that this would simply be two old friends getting together ... NOT a date.

So, while Old Friend was over, I was giving him a tour of the house.

We stopped by Alec's room and I said "See ... I even made up Alec's bed for you tonight".

He joked that he'd be cuddling up with me that night.

I explained to him that I know Alec, and that Alec is constantly in my room, and if he thought a guy was coming over, he'd be sniffing my pillows the next day for, cologne, or deodorant, or something ... 'proof' that someone was there who shouldn't be.

Old Friend laughed at that.

The next night, the boys came home.

Alec went straight up to my room.

I followed him.

I asked how his weekend was.

He didn't reply. Simply walked all around my room.

Sniffing.

I asked what he was doing.

He replied "How was your visit with Old Friend?"

I told him it was good, and repeated my question of 'WHAT are you doing?!?!?'

He looked at me, sizing me up, and said 'I'm just checking.'

'Checking for WHAT?' I asked.

He looked me in the eye, almost defiantly, and said "I'm checking to see if I can SMELL him in here!'

Sigh.

God help any man I ever bring home to meet them.

Usually it's the father who won't let the daughter date.

With me, it's my overprotective kid! And it wasn't even a date!

Another 9 yrs before they're both finished High School, and (possibly) out on their own.

Fine! I'll date when I'm 50!

And have lots of air freshener on hand for when the boys visit!

K.

No comments: