Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It's The Not Knowing That's Killin' Me

For those of you who are regulars here in the Korner, you've met our cat, Puss.








We got Puss 'n Boots almost 5 years ago, shortly after the death of our 14yr old cat Shelby. And right after Shrek 2 came out. Hence, her name :-)

Baby Puss


Last week, on Wed night, a week ago today, Puss didn't come home.

I was surprised she wasn't at the back door when I went to let her in before bed.

She had spent the night outside before. Not often, maybe two or three times.

I figured she'd be there in the morning, waiting for me, meowing loudly at the back door.

The next morning, she wasn't there.

She hasn't come home in a week.

She has also done this once before. ONLY once.

Last summer, the day we left for vacation, she went on a vacation of her own for a week.

She wouldn't come for the Ex when he called her home.

But this, this is different.

She knows we're home.

For the past week, I check the back door as soon as I get home from work.

Alec checks as soon as he gets home from school.

Any time I'm in the kitchen, I'm staring out the window.

Eyes scanning for any sign of movement. A flash of calico streaking across the backyard.

I've spent an obscene amount of time, either with my face pressed to the bathroom window screen, listening for her, or standing on the deck calling 'pssss pssss psssss psssssss PUUUUSSSSSSS!!!!'

She won't come.

And I don't know why.

I don't know if she's been hit by a car;

or eaten by one of the animals who roam the woods behind the house;

or if someone took her in, thinking she was a stray.

I just don't know.

And it's the not knowing that's killin' me.

And what makes me go to the window every half hour or so.

Looking.

Waiting.

Hoping.

And taking some comfort in the fact that when she finally DOES get her ass home, she won't be knocked up like she was LAST time!!!!



K

5 comments:

Bonnie S. said...

Oh I hope she comes home soon. A friend of mine lost her cat a couple of months ago and was sure he had been eaten by an animal. They found him in a dresser drawer in their spare bedroom a few days later alive and well! Funny he didn't meow or anything to get out. Cats are funny like that.

Expat No. 3699 said...

Oh, I hope she comes home soon...and not with some buns in the oven.

I had a cat years ago that would be gone for days at a time if he got out, so I know how hard it is wondering if they're okay.

Please keep us posted.

Kim's Korner said...

Bon - That's kinda funny :-) Not at the time, I'm sure it wasn't. But to think that kitty was in the DRAWER and DIDN'T meow ... wow!

I'm positive she's outside though :-(

Puss isn't a wanderer. And she never leaves the (not so little anymore) kittens for long.



3699 - I really like hearing that from other cat people. That 'they can be gone for days and still come home'

A co-worker told me yesyerday that his wife's cat went missing for 5 yrs, and ended up, miles away, on her FRIEND'S doorstep!

So, I'm going to keep pssss psssss psssss'ing out my windows until she comes home :-)

Oh and there will be NO buns! She's fixed! ;-)

Kim's Korner said...

Oh, and Bon, the kittens took an instant liking to Adam's dresser, always roaming around in there, so I can see how it can easily happen lol.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Keeping my fingers crossed that she either comes home or you find out where she is. It IS the not knowing that is the hardest.

Hallie