Sunday, June 21, 2009

But WHY Can't I Have Red Hair?

Adam decided last weekend he wanted to be a redhead.

First I said 'NO! You can't colour your hair until you hit 'teenager status'.'

Of course, as any kid would, he came back with , 'But WHY can't I have red hair NOW?'

I thought about it for a second.

It's only hair. It didn't have to be permanent. Seriously, what's wrong with letting him try it?

When I was younger, I wanted to be a redhead too.

And I was, for awhile, during the high school years.

I'm sure many kids would like to try different colours. And it's just so acceptable, 'these days'.

So, when it became apparent he wasn't giving up, I decided to pick my battles, and bought a 'lasts for 8 washes' red for him.

Which made him happy :-)


This is his new look.


For another few washes anyway ;-)

K

4 comments:

Expat No. 3699 said...

My daughter BEGGED me to let her dye her hair purple when she was twelve...then just did it on her own before I gave her an answer. I think that when I first started calling her Beastchild!

Kim's Korner said...

LOL least she made it to 12!!!!!

He's already asked for Black once the red washes out.

Maybe I'll surprise him and give myself a few purple highlights the next weekend they're at their father's LOL.

Evansmom said...

My son got streaks in his hair the summer after he finished 5th grade. I hated it but it grew out. Dyed hair is better than the long in their faces, out of control hair that he had in 7th grade. That too passed and - right now - he has normal hair. I have my fingers crossed it stays that way. He just finished 9th grade so who knows. :)

Kim's Korner said...

Hi Evansmom! Welcome to the Korner and thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment :-)

My older son had the long hair last year, and it drove me crazy! But like you said, it too passed, as do most of the phases.

I've drawn the line at piercings though. Neither have those ... yet lol.