Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Flash Mob Mania!

Despite the fact they've been around since 2003, Flash Mobs (or flashmobs, or flash-mobs) are suddenly taking the world by storm.

For those of you not familiar with the term Flash Mob, let me explain.

Wikipedia defines flash mob as “a large group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual action for a brief time, then quickly disperse. The term flash mob is generally applied only to gatherings organized via telecommunications, social media, or viral emails."

Taken from Flash Mob Wikipedia

We've all been sent a link through email, or over Facebook, that brings up a YouTube video of the latest Flash Mob occurrence. And we all have our favourites.

Well, those of us that LIKE watching Flash Mobs do, anyway.

Last April, I posted about a FM instance at a Farmer's Market in nearby Truro, NS.

It was FANTASTIC! I LOVED it.

Most recently, the city of Halifax joined in the Flash Mob Mania, by organizing an event in the food court of a busy shopping centre.

The Bust A Move initiative was the kick off event to raise awareness and money for a new mammography machine for the local hospital.

You can read more about it HERE.

There are quite a few of these Flash Mob videos out there.

But if I were to pick my all time favourite, it would have to be the one filmed at the train station in Belgium.

Approx. 200 dancers bring Central Station in Antwerp, Belgium to a standstill, during their spontaneous performance to The Sound Of Music's 'Do Re Mi'.

If you haven't seen this yet, WATCH IT.

NOW.

No, I mean, it, right now.

I'll wait.




Isn't that absolutely AWESOME?

Well, I thought so.

Then, there is the all time largest flash mob gathering ever.

Oprah Winfrey's 24Th season kickoff features the Black Eyed Peas, and approx 21,000 dancers who went from 'still as statues' to one big dancing organism.

Although there is some debate as to whether or not it's considered an 'official' Flash Mob, it's still pretty cool.

To see all those people, moving as one, regardless how it all came together, is impressive.

If you haven't seen THAT one yet, you can find it HERE.

I love that chick in front, at the very beginning, who's the only one just givin' 'er!

And I know the minute my mom sees her in this video, she'll be thinking, 'Yup, that could be my daughter, right there.' ;-)

There have also been a number of Flash Mob 'spinoff's', if you will.

I have included one that I thought was creative. And the kids look like they're having a blast.

It's from Fallston High School - Homecoming 2009.

It starts off slow, but be patient, because once they get going ... WHOA!!!

And check out that coach who's leading the cheerleaders.

Is she gettin' into it or WHAT?!?! ;-)




And then, there's what definitely is NOT a Flash Mob, but a tribute to the same Black Eyed Peas song, and known as a 'LipDub'.

This is a video made by 172 students at l'Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM).

It was done in ONE take.

One continuous, almost flawless (except for the random chick going up the escalator at 1:33-34 lol!), shoot.

They did an AMAZING job!

Congrats to all those who participated in this! It turned out GREAT!

If you haven't seen this one, WATCH! ENJOY!




If this is your first introduction to Flash Mob Mania, and want to see more, simply search 'flash mob' on YouTube, and voila.

If you can't stand these videos, sorry, I don't expect all my interests to be shared by everyone, but guaranteed, there will be at least ONE of you, forwarding one of the links above to a friend.

And possibly MORE than one, walking away singing, 'I got a feelin', that tonight's gonna be a good night ...'

Yeah, sorry 'bout that one too. But serves ya right for reading this first thing in the morning at the office.

Now, it's going to be in your head allll day ;-p

K.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I love this stuff!! I've received a few but I didn't realize it had a name, thanks for the wiki info and the links to some of my favorites.
... tonight's gonna be a...hmmm hmmm..hmmm...

Kim's Korner said...

Lori - A HA! See, I knew SOMEONE would leave their computer with that song in their head ;-) Glad you enjoyed the links, and glad to know I'm actually providing info while doing this blog thing!

Ms Nanny, welcome. Glad you enjoyed the korner, feel free to drop back anytime!